In fitness jargon, the “core” refers to all the muscles of the torso. These muscles work as stabilizers of the entire body and are involved in all the movements that we do when we train or in daily activities. Core exercises develop and strengthen these stabilizer muscles. Keeping these muscles strong gives the body better posture and balance, improves physical performance, and helps prevent lower back pain and several injuries.
Here are some of the best Core Exercises:
- Plank: The plank (with all its variations) is a full-body exercise that mainly targets the core; in fact, it’s the favorite core exercise of many experts.
- Sit-Ups: This classic exercise works the abs, hip flexors, and lower back muscles.
- Bicycle Crunch: This is an excellent exercise to work all the abdominal muscles.
- Russian Twist: It’s a very effective way to strengthen the entire core, especially if done with a dumbbell or kettlebell.
- Leg Raises: This exercise works the lower abdominal muscles and strengthens the hip flexors.
- Lying Side Crunches: It’s a very good exercise to work the obliques.
- V-Ups: This exercise strengthens the entire rectus abdominis, commonly called the “6-pack”.